He sent his physician to Delphi to rebuild the Temple of Apollo, and received an oracle for his efforts that "the speaking water has been silenced," which became known as "the last oracle" and is recorded by George Kedrenos. ===Excavation=== The site was first briefly excavated in 1880 by Bernard Haussoullier (1852-1926) on behalf of the French School at Athens, of which he was a sometime member.


In 1893 the French Archaeological School removed vast quantities of soil from numerous landslides to reveal both the major buildings and structures of the sanctuary of Apollo and of Athena Pronoia along with thousands of objects, inscriptions and sculptures. During the Great Excavation were discovered architectural members from a 5th-century Christian basilica, when Delphi was a bishopric.


It was restored in 1920. ===Stoa of the Athenians=== The stoa, or open-sided, covered porch, is placed in an approximately E-W alignment along the base of the polygonal wall retaining the terrace on which the Temple of Apollo sits.


Sikelianos and his wife, Eva Palmer, in 1927 and in 1930.


Sikelianos and his wife, Eva Palmer, in 1927 and in 1930.


It is now an extensive archaeological site, and since 1938 a part of Parnassos National Park.

All text is taken from Wikipedia. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License .

Page generated on 2021-08-05